Sawn wood export import. Global sales for sawn wood exported by all countries totaled US$36.8 billion in 2020.
Overall, the value of sawn wood exports increased by an average 6.2% for all exporting nations since 2016 when sawn wood shipments were valued at $34.6 billion. Year over year, the value of sawn wood shipped worldwide rose by 1.9% from 2019 to 2020.
The 5 biggest exporters of sawn wood are Canada, Russia, Sweden, United States and Germany. Combined, those key suppliers ship over half (55.3%) of exported sawn wood by value.
Among continents, European countries sold the greatest dollar value worth of exported sawn wood during 2020 with shipments amounting to $20.4 billion or over half (55.4%) of the global total. In second place were North American exporters at 28% while 6.2% of worldwide sawn wood shipments originated from Asia.
Smaller percentages came from Latin America (5.2%) excluding Mexico but including Caribbean nations, trailed by Africa (3.3%) and Oceania (1.9%) led by New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Australia.
For research purposes, the 4-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix for sawn wood is 4407.
Sawn Wood Exports by Country
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of sawn wood during 2020.
- Canada: US$7.7 billion (21% of exported sawn wood)
- Russia: $4.2 billion (11.4%)
- Sweden: $3.3 billion (8.9%)
- United States: $2.6 billion (7%)
- Germany: $2.5 billion (6.9%)
- Finland: $1.8 billion (4.8%)
- Austria: $1.5 billion (4.1%)
- Thailand: $927.4 million (2.5%)
- Latvia: $738.6 million (2%)
- Chile: $731.5 million (2%)
- Brazil: $707.3 million (1.9%)
- Belgium: $624.2 million (1.7%)
- Belarus: $596.4 million (1.6%)
- Malaysia: $569.8 million (1.5%)
- New Zealand: $552.4 million (1.5%)
The listed 15 countries shipped 79% of global sawn wood exported in 2020 by value.
Among the top exporters, the fastest-growing sawn wood exporters from 2019 to 2020 were: Belarus (up 26.6%), Canada (up 21.5%), Germany (up 9.9%) and Sweden (up 8.6%).
Those countries that posted declines in their exported sawn wood sales were led by: Malaysia (down -30.1%), United States (down -8.6%), Finland (down -8%), Chile (down -7.3%) and Russia (down -6.6%).